Monday, November 8, 2010

The Arizona State Fair - Phoenix, AZ

Worth It?  Yes, if you go on discounted nights

We went to the Arizona State Fair on the first Wednesday of November.   Admission was $10 per person, or you could bring a donated item to get in free before 6pm.  We paid the $10 each as we were running late.  There was a little traffic, but it wasn't too bad.  Don't pay more than $5 for parking...there are plenty of $5 lots, but the first few you see are asking $15- $20.  I was told not to go to the fair after dark because it wasn't in a safe area of Phoenix.  I only like the fair after dark, so we took our chances.  It's not the cleanest, newest area ever, but c'mon - it's downtown, what do you expect?  I never once felt unsafe, though I was walking with my husband.  I might have felt differently by myself. 

Anyway, the only other fairs I have to compare this to is the South Carolina State Fair, and in my opinion, this fair was much better.  It is a good size, and they had many rides I've never seen before.  Montgomery Gentry was playing the night we went, though we didn't go see him.  The best thing about the night?  $1 rides.  Wednesdays are $1 rides and games (for most rides, some are excluded), so it's much more affordable than if you went any other day of the week.  They stay open "until the crowds die down," so there is plenty of time to ride whatever you want.  The lines were very minimal.  The most expensive thing was the beer and fair food - a large beer runs $7.50 domestic, and Adam's "chocolate covered bacon" was $5.75.  I ate before we went...pretty much no healthy options at the fair! 

Some of the games we played included throwing darts at balloons, throwing balls at upside down beer bottles, and shooting a gun onto a piece of paper trying to shoot out the image.  A lot of fun for $1 each!

All in all, I would say the fair is a must.  The weather is perfect in AZ this time of year, and if you go on a weekday, it's not too crowded or too expensive.






No comments:

Post a Comment